March 08, 2023
Snow & Ice
The school sometimes has to close because the weather prevents safe travel into school and there is insufficient staff to provide safe supervision and an education on site.
We will try to keep the school open and will only close if it is absolutely necessary.
In the event of severe weather conditions, we must consider key issues to make judgements about school closure. Closing the school is the very last option for us:
- We know that for working parents when the school has to close this presents problems with regard to childcare, so the decision will not be taken lightly.
- We have to weigh up many different risks regarding travelling to school, site safety and pupil supervision on site. Maintaining the level of learning is extremely important, but we have to balance that against the risks to our pupils and staff.
- We will monitor local weather reports and liaise with our staff members in outlying areas to assess the travel conditions that might be affecting those who come to school by car and bus.
To keep you informed:
- Parents are advice to regularly check the school website.
We will update the website as soon as possible (depending on the situation) as soon we can make a reasonable assessment of the conditions.
- If the school remains open during bad weather, as a parent you can make the decision about whether you feel it is safe for your child to travel to school. If you feel it is unsafe for you to travel to school from where you live, please keep your child at home. If your children’s absence is specifically due to travel problems caused by the bad weather we can record this absence appropriately.